March reads

Saturday, April 04, 2015


March was a veeeeeery busy month for me reading wise – I managed to read six books!! (Two of them only took a couple of hours to read, but still!). Compared to last months long post this is humongous so again, if you can’t be bothered to read the entire thing, you can just head over to my GoodReads profile to check my rating.


The first book I finished was My Heart and Other Black Holes by Jasmine Warga, which I started reading this last month. I didn’t expect much from this book, and though I liked the book fine, it just wasn’t anything special. It is about two teenagers who meet on a website for people searching for suicide partners, and after deciding to do it together they start to fall in love. The book gives a very realistic description of how it feels to be depressed and sad, which was really good. The only thing that really annoyed be was the short timespan of the book. In the beginning they both seem really determined to commit suicide, and it just doesn’t seem realistic that they could completely change their minds in less than a month.

Next I read The Strange Library by Haruki Murikami, which only took about two hours to read. The story is about a boy who goes to the library on his way home from school and is trapped in there by a strange man. The story is really weird and dark, and there is a lot of symbolism and meaning in everything. The thing that makes this book really good however, is the illustrations. They really add to the story, and it feels like they almost tell a story themselves.

The third book is The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstein. The book is about a mysterious circus, which is only open at night, and it describes the events of some of the people involved. This book has been veeeerry hyped! It is divided into five parts, and for the first two parts I did not see what all the fuss was about. The book is very descriptive so if you like being able to imagine all that’s going on and what everything looks like, this might be a book for you. If you like books with a bit more action however, this might be a bit boring – at least that’s how I felt for the first parts of the book, as it was very slow-paced, and nothing much really happened. As the book got on and I got a little used to the way it was written, it did get more exciting, and by the time I finished it, I absolutely loved it!

Next was The 100 by Kass Morgan. I started watching the tv show with my friend earlier this year, and when I found out it was based on a book, I had to read it right away. It wasn’t worth it. The book is set in the future, where humanity has relocated to a space station after a nuclear war. When the space station is starting to loose air, the council decides to send 100 criminals to earth to see if it is livable. I still don’t know if the book was really that bad, or if I just compared it to the show too much.

I also read The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett, which is just a really cute children’s story. It has a lot of nice messages, and it is really fun to read something from a child’s perspective.

The last book was the graphic novel Through the Woods by Emily Carroll. The book consists of five stories, each illustrated by different artists and it is sooo pretty. I wasn’t really that impressed by the last story, but the rest of them were really creepy!


If you want to keep track of how I’m doing in the challenge, or you want to join in yourself you can find my Goodreads profile here.



- Lene

Book challenge progress: 14/30

You Might Also Like

2 kommentarer

  1. I've been wanting to read Through The Woods for a while and had forgotten all about it until this post! Lovely list
    Rebecca | Rebecca Marie: UK Lifestyle xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make sure to read it in daylight!! :D - xx

      Delete

Subscribe